I gave students the next book today, Introducing Modernism by Chris Rodrigues and Chris Garratt. Unfortunately the book is out of print and I had to order used copies through Amazon from all over the country (good thing it’s a small class). Students are to be prepared to discuss:
- Pages 4 – 55 on Wed., 4.15
- Pages 56 – 110 on Tues., 4.21
- Pages 111 – 173 0n Thu., 4.23
Students are to post responses (on their blogs) to the guiding questions on p. 3:
- What is modernism?
- When does modernism begin?
- What is the difference between modernism and “modernity”?
- Is modernism just a reaction to modernity?
- how doe we recognize a “modernist” work?
- Is there a modernist theory in relation to practice?
- What is the relation of modernism to primitivism?
- What is the relation of modernism to psychoanalysis?
- What is the role of the city in modernism
- Why are modernists so often “exiles”?
- What is the role of elites and avant-gardes in modernism?
- What politics did modernists espouse?
- How does modernism relate to mass culture?
- What is the relation of cinema to modernism?
- Has modernism ended?